Authorities in the Philippines had earlier stated that the attack on Resorts World Manila and deaths of the 36 victims was not the work of the Islamic State group, even before the identity of the gunman was established. ISIS had claimed responsibility for the attack late Friday but officials have denied the attack was a terror-related incident and they repeated that denial Sunday.
In a press conference, national capital region police office Chief Director Oscar Albayalde identified the attacker as Jessie Carlos, 43, a Filipino and a resident of Santa Cruz district in Manila.
Carlos entered the Resorts World Manila shortly after midnight Thursday, firing shots from an assault rifle and setting fire to gambling tables.
Those concerns escalated when militants flying black IS flags rampaged through the Philippines' main Islamic city in the south almost two weeks ago, triggering clashes that are still continuing and have left roughly 200 people dead.
"We're closely monitoring the situation, and I will continue to give updates if anything happens during this period of time", Trump said.
But in another apparent contradiction, dela Rosa said since police knew very little about the attacker, that stance may change.
Hours later, the police confirmed the gunman had committed suicide by setting himself on fire.
Six people were killed and another 20 were injured in what appeared to be two coordinated terrorist attacks in London Saturday night, according to the Associated Press.
The taxi driver who dropped off Carlos told police his passenger spoke fluent Tagalog and appeared normal during the ride.
His identity remains unknown however as police were unable to lift fingerprints, but Albayalde said investigators would examine DNA evidence.
The attack sent hundreds of people fleeing through the complex and into the night.
President Rodrigo Duterte said late on Saturday that he does not believe the gunman was a terrorist.
Despite ongoing ISIS-affiliated militant activity in the southern Philippines island of Mindanao, authorities ruled out terrorism as the motive for the attack.
The fighting has placed the country on edge and prompted Mr Duterte to declare martial law across the south.
Internal security were shown chasing after the suspect, with one security officer managing to shoot the gunman, slowing him down as he climbed a stairwell. He fired shots and set alight gambling tables.
Carlos exchanged gunfire with a couple of hotel guards in the basement of the hotel. He made his way to a fifth-floor room, where he shot and kicked the door until it opened, footage showed. Hotel security had already evacuated guests.
At 1:46 a.m., he breaks into an empty room and sets it on fire, too. Police soon arrive, aiming the white lights on their weapons through the smoke-filled hall.
The attacked was found dead in a room in a hotel adjacent to the casino building, burned beyond recognition and with a gunshot to the head.style="text-align: center;"